Health Benefits & Uses of Camphor (Kapur/Kapoor/Karpooram)
Camphor or so called as Kapur/Kapoor is a white waxy solid with a firm crystal clear strong perfumed spice. It is extract from camphor plant&rsquos leaves and bark and obtained by isoprenoids through the chemical formula C10H16O.It is found in the wood and leaves of the laurel camphor that is scientifically known as (Cinnamomum camphora).
It is a huge evergreen plant that can grow to about a height of 50 to 100 feet its branches are spread all around so they look much broader beside tall. It has a very rough pale bark and fissured vertically. It produces clusters of berry like fruit which are black in color, each berry fruit around (1 cm) in diameter.
It is an evergreen tree that grows in exotic conditions of Asia, Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Taiwan and has been introduced to many other countries. Cinnamomum camphora is believed to be native to China&rsquos southern part of the Yangtze River.
Ayurvedic Properties of Camphor
-  Rasa (taste): Tikta (bitter), Katu (pungent), Madhura (sweet)
- Guna (qualities) : Laghu (light to digest), Rooksha (Dryness)
- Vipaka-Katu: undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
- Veerya &ndash Sheeta: coolant in nature.
- Effect on Tridosha: It Balances Kapha, Pitta Dosha.
Different Types of Camphor
In India Camphor has its own importance it have a unique position in the Hindu tradition of pooja, other festive function and traditional law. There are varieties of camphora, such as &ldquoBhimseni camphor&rdquo or so called Baras Camphora, Cini camphor it is also known as Japani Karpura (D. Camphora), Patri camphor or Nagi Karpura camphor (B.Lacera) beside this there is also a camphor called Krutima camphor it is Synthetic camphor which is prepared using turpentine, it is generally used in used in ritual ceremony and in various Indian tradition but is not used for remedies or for medical use. It is believe that the puja/ritual ceremony cannot be accomplished without Bhimseni Camphor.
What Is Bhimseni Kapoor?
Among the varieties of camphor the &ldquoBhimseni camphor&rdquo has its own importance, it have been used in ayurvedic medicine and puja since ancient time. It is also called as Malay camphor, Sumatran camphor, Borneo camphor or Barus camphor and is heavier by nature that sinks in water easily than Chinese camphor. It is naturally formed in the stems of Dryobalanops plant, it have about seven subfamily species, it is  found in cluster form in the tropical forests of Sumatra, Peninsular, Borneo and  Malaysia West Malesia.
Why Bhimseni Camphor Is Used In Puja/Ritual Ceremony?
It is believed that the ordinary camphor has saviour (Tarak) properties by nature and it can be used to invoke the Saviour Principle of the Deity during worship. Whereas the Bhimseni camphor has destroyer (Marak) properties by nature, is more powerful than ordinary camphor.  So it can invoke the Destroyer Principle of the Deity during worship. Due to the properties of Marak (Destroyer) it is believe to be more useful in destroying negative energies and for casting off evil-eye.
Ayurvedic Properties Of Bhimseni Camphor
- Marak ( it is destroyer in nature)
- Raja ( it have high flame with great emission of smoke)
Beside this it has various properties such as
- It has strong fragrance.
- The colour of the smoke/flame is reddish black.
- It lasts for a longer time.
Camphor Uses and Benefits of Burning Camphor
The burning of camphor in an Indian tradition has a special meaning. It is believe that when pure white color camphor when burned acquires the huge fire (Agni) and burn completely, without leaving any residue. The same way when lighting camphor before God can destroy a sign burning our illusion or ego with the fire of true knowledge, which will merge with God, leaving no residue. Camphor is used daily in Hindu family to light diyas, by burning camphor as part of daily prayer. It also contributes to purify the surrounding air and prevent harmful bacteria, viruses and mosquitoes away.
Camphor has extraordinary medical properties. It safeguards us against many illnesses by killing bacteria that prevails in the warm atmosphere it prevails in most parts of India. According to Ayurveda when the camphor is burn it purifies the atmosphere. When the devotees place their palms on Aarti (a plate in which camphor is burned) and put the palms of his nose and eyes, they absorb the medicinal benefits.
In Aarti camphor remains for a very short time, in Hindu mythology it signifies as human that has a short span of life. It is the physical and sensual pleasures that come from attachments caused by Avidya or so called Agynana. Therefore, Aarti motivates devotees to discover God, which is permanent. As Aarti is short-lived, it compels the devotee to focus their attention on God.
Therapeutic Uses of Camphor
- It comforts nasal blockage and cough, when applied on the chest as oil.
- Camphor is used as a component in throat drops and cough syrup and chock let like Vicks.
- Camphor is additionally used in various anti-itch ointments, gels of cooling and creams, as it can be preoccupied through the skin. It is capable in treating pain locally.
- It has an anaesthetic effect which makes it best-loved oil. It is also used in blends of massage to release pain from arthritis and muscle aches.
- Camphor is known to improve air quality, It is better for our lungs and heart. Many people are not knowledgeable about the power of camphor as a mosquito repellant, but it is very effectively with no side effects and low cost too.
- Camphor oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can be used to relieve acne, pimples, boils it is also beneficial in reducing pain, swelling that are resulted due to gum infection, neuralgia and rheumatism.
- Even thou camphorated oil are not recommended for use on broken skin, but it have found beneficial to get rid of infection of toe nails fungus.
- It can be used as hair care product, for treating itchy head, lice-infested hair, and helpful towards dandruff too with the combination of camphor oil with a coconut oil
- Camphor is a superb cleanser it tones the skin and helps the scars calm that are resulted by burns, it even smoothes the rough cracked and coarse heels.
- It has a antispasmodic properties that can work&rsquos well to reduce problems such as tired worn out muscles, sprains, joints, cramps as well as spasms.
How To Uses Camphor As Mosquito Repellent
Using Camphor as a natural mosquito repellent is very simple. No need to burn camphor. There are two simple ways to execute it.
- Take tablets of camphor which is available in the market and bring any mosquito matt repellent kit that is easily available in the market. Connect a kit and place tablets on it for an hour and see the results.
- Take tablets of camphor and place it in different corners, generally dark place of the room, where mosquitoes seem to love to stay. Keep there and let it be evaporating naturally. Keeping camphor will not only keep the air pure but also keep free of mosquitoes.
Medicinal Properties & Uses Of Camphor
1.Cough and cold: Camphor has been used as traditional medicine for cough and cold it can be used with water, boil it for about ten minutes and inhale the vapor it is an excellent way to treat cough and cold. Every time a person contends with severe cough and cold he can breathes in the vapor of camphor and boiling water to get relief. When the camphor is breathed in form of vapor it form a coating around the inner surfaces of the respiratory organs this way it help in reducing irritation of the throat and is also very effective in treating bronchitis.
2.Anti-oxidant properties: The Research on Camphor extracts reveal that it have significant amount of anti-oxidant properties in it. The Antioxidants are biochemical that can actually help&rsquos in reducing all the oxidation process that can lead to the creation of free radicals. The Free radicals are chemicals that alter the tissues and cells in our body and may lead to ailment such as diabetes, liver disease, cardiovascular disease and some time it may even cause cancer.
3.Antineuralgic: Neuralgia is a severely painful situation it triggered when the ninth cranial nerve is affected due to inflammation of the blood vessels surrounding and it may be treatable using camphor oil. The camphor oil can make the blood vessels contract and therefore it reduces the pressure around the ninth cranial nerve. This is really is another best use of camphor used as painkillers.
4.Anti-inflammatory properties: Camphor has been used as traditional medicines, like Ayurveda and in Chinese tradition for a long time to get rid of muscle pain and rheumatism. Study on the Camphor extracts has found that it has anti-inflammatory properties that not only restricted to muscle aches but also lower the cholesterol levels.
5.Antimicrobial/ insecticidal properties: The study was done on extracts of camphor leaves, it have been found that it have anti-microbial qualities that are capable in managing bacterial and fungal strains to some extent. Apart from the antimicrobial qualities, it also has various essential oils that have insecticidal qualities. So it it&rsquos clear that practice of using camphor as an anthelmintic drug in Ayurveda was clinically right.