Bhringraj (Eclipta prostrata) benefits
Botanical name and family
Family – Asteraceae
Botanical name- Eclipta prostrata
Geological distribution of Bhringraj
The plant grows in India, China, and Thailand. It grows in moist places as a weed in most places of the world. It grows in Eastern countries like Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and China. It grows well in paddy fields, water courses, tanks, both in plains and the hilly regions. It is common in waste places and marshy lands. In India, it is found mostly in Odisha, West Bengal, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
The plant can be used as powder, oil, decoction, infusion or ghee. The leaves, roots, and herbs are useful. The plant contains several chemicals such as coumestans, polypeptides, and steroids. The usefulness of the plant is seen by medicine companies and cosmetic companies. It is mostly useful as an internal and external rejuvenator. Some of the medicinal properties are described below:
- It has been used for hair growth and colour of hair. It revitalizes the hair follicles and adds nutrition. It is used to make hair regrowth products and hair loss shampoo. It is best ayurvedic plant for hair regrowth.
- The oil of Bhringraj improves sleep.
- It is used as a Rasayana for rejuvenating the body.
- Bhringraj regularizes normal body temperature.
- It also helps the treatment of eye problems.
- Bhringraj helps in indigestion.
- Bhringraj oil and powder promotes skin care, and Vringraj powder is used for the treatment of liver.
- The Eclipta prostrata powder cleanses the kidney.
- It betters the metabolism of the liver and rejuvenates the body internally.
- It normalizes the cholesterol and protects the heart.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the plant are useful for the treatment of hyper-acidity.
- The oil is also useful helpful skin infection.
- The Eclipta prostrata oil is also helpful for the treatment of piles.
- The extract is also useful for the treatment urinary tract infection of the children.
- The plant is also used as a natural tattoo.
- The roots and leaves stimulate the flow of bile to the intestine.
- The plant is useful for strengthening bones, teeth and hair.
- It is useful for the treatment of hepatitis, enlarged spleen and kidney or liver disorder.
- It is also helpful for increasing sight, hearing and memory.
- It is used against infertility in women by Ayurveda.
- It also prevents puss formation in the ear.